Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Substitutes

I am wanting to make Nigella's Chocolate Fudge Cake for a Good Friday get together at Mum's place but I was a bit put off by some of the ingredients. In fact, this is a common reason why I haven't ever made any of her recipes yet - she seems to use a lot of things unheard of in these parts, or at least hard to get a hold of, which usually = very expensive. I'd always been worried that substituting ingredients in recipes, you lose some kind of special flavour or texture or chemical reaction that only those things can impart, but I am feeling brave so decided it was time to get over this, and to do some research for suitable Antipodean substitutes particularly on the sugar front....

So here are my findings, thought they might be helpful -

Muscovado sugar can be substituted with dark brown sugar
Golden caster sugar = raw caster sugar
Demerera sugar = raw sugar

and a few more definitions just in case:

icing mixture = icing sugar + cornflour
pure icing sugar = powdered sugar to the Yanks and is just that - powdered sugar, nothing more
granulated sugar = plain old white sugar

I also discovered that the closest thing to corn oil is grapeseed oil as they both have a relatively neutral flavour. I'd say that canola oil or light olive oil would be OK too, just as long as the oil doesn't have a strong flavour.

Chocolate Fudge Cake here I come!

2 comments:

  1. useful list! Muscovado used to stump me and it's hard to find here (although for a while Coles used to stock Billington's Muscovado) but not any more. I long for things such as Elderflower etc! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used to give up on recipes when they had these exotic sounding ingredients or simply things that you couldn't get here... it's a shame we can't get more of them. I agree, muscovado is a hard one... I am sure the dark brown is not exactly the same but it seems to be close enough. It's actually kind of interesting when you dig around.

    ReplyDelete